ICABS TV: Hunts on Roads
01 February 2007
ICABS has renewed its appeal to the Garda Commissioner to act to keep hunting groups off public roads. Our call is in the interests of road safety and co-incides with a new "Hunts on our roads" video presentation on ICABS TV.
To watch the video, please click on the following link:
ICABS has also invited the Traffic Corps of An Garda Siochana, the Minister for Transport and the Road Safety Authority to view the presentation which explicitly shows the true extent of the problem. Our footage shows:
In previous correspondence to the Gardai, we pointed out that if a motorist hits a hunt horse or swerves to avoid a collision with horses or hounds, serious injuries or fatalities may result. Join us now in our drive to make Irish roads safer for motorists and pedestrians.
URGENT ACTION ALERTS
1. Please do not hesitate to complain to the Gardai if hunts come on to public roads and interfere in any way with the free flow of traffic. The phone numbers of Garda stations all over Ireland can be found at www.garda.ie.
2. Please write to Garda HQ and ask for urgent action to be taken to keep hunts off our roads. If you have seen hunters, hunt horses and hounds and/or hunt followers causing inconvenience or danger to road users, please mention this in your correspondence.
Mr Noel Conroy
3. Ask the Minister for Transport to view the "Hunts on our Roads" video presentation and enquire what action his department will be taking to eliminate the inconvenience and potential danger to road users caused by hunting groups.
Mr Martin Cullen
4. Urge the Road Safety Authority to prioritise action to make roads off-limits to hunts.
Mr Noel Brett
5. Contact the Road Safety Officer in your local county council and ask him/her to act to keep local hunting groups off public roads.
6. Write to your local TD and Senator and alert them to the dangers of hunts coming on to roads.
Urge them to support the campaign to clear our roads of hunt horses and hounds and remind them of the merits of drag hunting, the humane alternative to fox and deer hunting. In draghunting, the route followed by the "hunt" is pre-planned so as to avoid encroachments on to public roads, railway lines and prohibited land.
Write to your TD at:
Write to your Senator at:
For the names and contact details of politicians, please visit the Irish Government Website at:
ICABS TV: Hunts on our roads
To witness the inconvenience and/or potential danger caused when Irish hunts come on to public roads, please view our ICABS TV video presentation by clicking on the following link: